Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Trip to Japan

While in Japan, I was paired with a group that was sent to check on the structural integrity of several church buildings in several cities. My role was to show them how to use the equipment and gauge the levels of radiation at each site. To check on these levels I went armed with two different radiation detectors: the MiniRad-D (a small, pager-sized detector) and the Rad-ID (a portable radiation identifier).

In my visits to cities from Tokyo to Iwaki I checked radiation levels and talked with the local church officials about what those levels meant. Radiation levels in downtown Tokyo were near natural background levels but the closer I got to Fukushima, the higher the radiation levels rose. The cities I visited showed readings of anywhere from 0.35 µSv/hr to 2 µSv/hr above background radiation, which are elevated levels, but definitely not dangerous. Using the Rad-ID, I found out that most of the radiation came from the radioactive isotopes Co-60, I-131, I-132, and Cs-137, which are commonly given off in nuclear processes.


An interesting observation that I made was that storm drains in the areas I visited showed higher levels of radiation than the surrounding areas. I surmised that rainfall had carried down and collected some of the radioactive dust in the air and deposited the contamination as it flowed down these drains.


Although the Japanese have shown amazing resilience and are working as hard as they can to solve these enormous problems, there is still much uncertainty about health risks and what the future will bring. We’ll be back soon to check on the radiation levels again. If you’d like to brush up on your radiation basics, you can check out this sheet we’ve complied. It has basic conversions, safety levels, and doses to put radiation exposure in perspective. An interesting chart on radiation dose rates can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment